How to find motivation in your darkest possible moments:
In my experience as an author and speaker I often talk about subjects of motivation and finding the will to succeed even in your darkest moments. Jumpstarting your progress and becoming an author or accomplishing your goals may seem absolutely impossible especially if you are hindered by dark circumstances in life. These circumstances can take on many different forms whether it's a financial circumstance, career circumstance, mental health circumstance or otherwise. What is important to note is that by taking on the right strategy and mindset you can overcome nearly any obstacle and work towards finding motivation to accomplish your goals.
My life has never been easy, and I’m sure we can all agree to that.
On a daily basis, I’m a dad, lawyer, author, speaker, friend and the list goes on, and even on my darkest days, these are some of the tips I’ve used to really stay on the right tack and be successful. With the right mindset and framework, these tips can help you achieve your goals.
1. Establish a routine: building a routine can take time but in order to make life changes you need to establish a positive routine for your everyday life. Many would suggest that before routine becomes habit you need to regularly perform that routine for around 60 days time. While a routine can be difficult especially if you are having issues with finding motivation, remember that establishing a routine can be one of the biggest positive impacts in your life. If you want to write a book, set aside an hour each day to write a page of work. As you begin to include this in your daily routine you will see your work starting to amass. The same can be said for goals in life, if you're interested in developing a new skill or improving your existing skills set aside time each day to do research and expand your knowledge. Taking this time and adding it to a routine will require that you don't need that big push of motivation in order to accomplish your goal because you'll already be completing small building blocks to that goal every day.
2. Place reminders: something as simple as printing out a note to keep on track or writing Post-it notes with inspirational quotes to brighten your day can actually work to keep you motivated. Helpful reminders of why you are working hard to overcome your situation will work in a positive way to motivate you. Even if you have to provide emotional support to yourself through these reminders it's important to post them up even if you think it seems silly. If they can prevent you from having a lapse of judgment or a defeatist attitude about your goals they are entirely worth the extra hassle of setting them up.
3. Don't be afraid to call on a support network: With many government programs available as well as friends and family that you can lean on for support it's important to ask for help when it's needed. Many of us find it difficult to ask for help in accomplishing a goal but with the right support and encouragement we can get out of some of our darkest and most depressing moments especially when we are able to ease our burdens through the help of others. Even something as simple as talking about your current situation with a friend can allow you to refocus and establish solutions for the future.
4. Build on the small things and feel rewarded: part of feeling unmotivated or depressed may be rooted in the fact that you may not have felt sense of accomplishment for some time. A good way to find motivation again is to start setting small and easily accomplished goals. If you find yourself stuck in a rut or in a bad situation at a number of small goals to your day that may affect some positive changes in your life. Even small goals like going for a 15 min. run when you wake up in the morning can help you feel accomplished and when repeated multiple times you can start to see positive changes in your life. If you are searching for new career you could also utilize goals like applying for at least 5-10 jobs a day. While this may not seem like a lofty goal doing this over several weeks will most likely net you new employment.
5. Keep focused on the benefits: Our motivation often gets sapped when we start to think about the difficulties of accomplishing any specific goal. One of the greatest ways that you can get rid of these negative feelings to stop them from affecting you is to continually focus on the benefits. Keeping a positive mindset even in your darkest moments can have an overwhelming impact when it comes to affecting life changes. Rather than thinking of how difficult it will be to complete a college program or write a novel, consider the benefits that can come from completing these tasks. By focusing on the positive changes that can come about from you accomplishing goals and having daily motivation/ while trying to keep negative thoughts of the difficulties of accomplishing that goal out of your head you can stay on task.
These are just a few quality tips that you can utilize for finding motivation even in your darkest moments. Please use these and share these to establish positive changes in your life and the lives of others!